St Gregory the Great
No longer Church of England
St Gregory the Great, Small Heath opened in 1900 as an iron mission of All Saints', Small Heath and was known as the Church of the Good Shepherd.
A permanent church was built beside it on Oldknow Road at the junction with the Coventry Road from 1902 and dedicated to St Gregory the Great in 1912; it was consecrated in 1916. It is a tall, red brick building in the Byzantine style with north and south aisles. In 1916 a conventional district was attached to it and in 1924 a parish was assigned out of All Saints', Small Heath, and St Oswald's, Bordesley. The iron church was subsequently used as the parish hall.
The parish was declared part of an ecclesiastical reorganization area in 1946.
All Saints' church, Small Heath was destroyed by German bombs during the Second World War and in 1949 the benefice was united to that of St Aidan, Small Heath. In 1992 the parishes of St Aidan, St Gregory and St Oswald were amalgamated. By 2001 St Gregory's and St Oswald's churches had been closed and the buildings sold. St Gregory's was sold to the Bethel United Church of Jesus Christ Apostolic.
St Aidan's was subsequently renamed All Saints and became the parish church of Small Heath.
This is a Grade II listed building whose record can be found on the
Historic England website - https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1234443.
William Dargue 19.02.2018