Winson Green

Bishop Latimer Memorial Church

Bishop Latimer with All Saints

Bishop Latimer United Church

The building of this large church was funded by an anonymous lady at the beginning of the 20th century as this district was being developed with long rows of terraced houses. 


Image from the Birmingham Mail.
Image from the Birmingham Mail.
Google Maps content is not displayed due to your current cookie settings. Click on the cookie policy (functional) to agree to the Google Maps cookie policy and view the content. You can find out more about this in the Google Maps privacy policy.

The foundation stone of Bishop Latimer Memorial Church, laid 4 April 1903, is inscribed “To the Glory of God and in memory of Hugh Latimer Bishop of Worcester 1535-1539, Martyr 1555”. Built from funds donated anonymously, the church was consecrated in 1904 and had seating for 1000 people. A parish was assigned out of St Chrysostom's and St Cuthbert's. 


Designed by Birmingham's foremost Arts & Craft architect W H Bidlake, it is a large elaborate building of red brick with stone dressings and buff brick interior in the Perpendicular style. The flat-topped tower stands above the apsidal chance; there are north and south chapels, and north and south aisles to the nave, the roof of which is supported on hammer-beam trusses. At the west end's south corner is an immersion font. The church was restored in 1938. 


Taylor's of Loughborough supplied one bell in 1904 intended to be the 4th of a 25-cwt ring of 10. In 1958 seven more bells were cast from the bells of St John the Baptist Deritend which had closed in 1939. By 1965 the bells were were considered unsafe to ring and they were transferred to Perry Barr in 1971. 


A bell hung for swing chiming was brought from St Chrysostom's which closed in 1972; it probably dates from 1889 when the church was consecrated. Another bell stored at the base of the tower came from All Saints, Hockley when it closed in 1973. It was cast by by James Barwell of Smethwick in 1875. 


In 1973, the parishes of Bishop Latimer, St Chrysostom and All Saints were united, creating a new parish called Bishop Latimer with All Saints, Birmingham.


The church was substantially repaired in 2006.


By the year 2000 the congregation had dropped to around 50 members and teamed up with the United Reform Church from Winson Green to form a Local Ecumenical Partnership. Rather than use the large church building, services were often held in the adjacent church hall in Beeton Road.  This was built in 1906 by Rev J S Thirtle and may also have been designed by W H Bidlake. 


Image from Google Streetview
Image from Google Streetview


In 2011 the church was leased to the Seventh-Day Adventist Church who were previously using the church hall.


The Bishop Latimer congregation has now moved into the church hall which is now designated as the parish centre of worship. 




This is a Grade II listed building whose record can be found on the

Historic England website -


William Dargue 16.05.2016