St Mark


St Mark's was an early Gothic design by the renowned architect George Gilbert Scott. He later felt that it did not live up to the ideals of accurate Gothic design and disowned it. The church was demolished in 1947.



Above: Image courtesy of Mac Joseph - Ladywood Past & Present - Contact him for reuse of this image.

Google Maps content is not displayed due to your current cookie settings. Click on the cookie policy (functional) to agree to the Google Maps cookie policy and view the content. You can find out more about this in the Google Maps privacy policy.

Press function key F5 to refresh the map.



Left: Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge 1839 Map of Birmingham. Image courtesy of the Mapseeker website - - use permitted for non-commercial purposes. 



St Mark's was built two years after this map was published. Urban development was beginning to spread into this north-eastern side of Birmingham and within a decade most of the area shown would be built up. 


St Mark's Church appears on the 1890 Ordnance Survey map available at British History Online

St Mark’s Church in King Edwards Road, Ladywood was the second of the five churches built by the Birmingham Church Building Society. Consecrated in 1841, the church cost about £4000 and had accommodation for 1000 people with a third of the seats being free. A parish was assigned out of St Martin's in 1843.


Designed by George Gilbert Scott, St Mark’s was built in stone in the Early English style and comprised a chancel, nave, aisles and tower. This was an early design of Sir Gilbert Scott’s, who later became nationally famous as a neo-gothic builder and restorer with a prodigious output. He later disowned this early design of his as inaccurate gothic.


The church was restored in 1882 and the spire removed in 1890. In 1947 the church was closed, and the benefice and parish united with those of St Paul’s in the Jewellery Quarter. The building was subsequently demolished.



See Mac Joseph's website, Ladywood Past & Present - 

and Digital Ladywood


William Dargue 31.03.2012