St Germain's church at the corner of City Road and Portland Road, originated as an iron mission church of Christ Church, Summerfield and was first licensed in 1896; it was known as the City Road mission room and stood on land given by the Gillott trustees. It was enlarged in 1899.
From 1906 it came under the parish of St. Augustine, Edgbaston, and from 1907 was known as St Germain's.
A new church, built next to it, was consecrated in 1917, a red brick building designed by E F Reynolds of Birmingham in the Byzantine style and consisting of nave and aisles with semi-circular east end enclosing an ambulatory.
It is a good example of the Early Christian/Byzantine style which enjoyed a revival during the period and is considered to be the church which made the architect's reputation. It is notable for the range of good quality materials used and careful detailing, in particular for the interior which remains largely unaltered.
A parish was assigned out of St Augustine's in 1920. The vicarage also by Reynolds was completed in 1924.
The old iron church was subsequently used as the church hall.
This is a Grade II listed building whose record can be found on the
Historic England website - https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1393386.