Marston Green

Historic County: Warwickshire

St Leonard

Work in progress . . . Temporary article - Information taken from British History Online -

Marston Green was originally part of the manor of Merestone, mentioned in 1086, which seems to have been divided in the 12th century.

Both of the new manors eventually adopted the name of their lord in order to distinguish between them - thus, Marston Culy and Wavers Marston.

The de Culy family first appeared at Marston Culy in about 1248, becoming extinct a century later when the manor passed to Sir Fouk de Birmingham. The Wavers family held the manor of Wavers Marston from the end of the 12th century until 1476.

Marston Culy had assumed the name Marston Green by 1830.

Prior to becoming part of the Solihull Metropolitan Borough in 1974, Marston Green was part of the Meriden Rural District and was administered from council offices in Coleshill.

Marston Green was part of Bickenhill parish until 1928 when it was separated and united with the parish of St Giles at Sheldon.

Marston Green chapel was built in the 19th century as a Wesleyan chapel. The site was acquired by Digby family who built their own private chapel and encouraged villagers to use it to save them the long walk to Bickenhill. The chapel was given to the Anglican Church in 1922 but eventually fell into disrepair after the new church of St Leonard's was consecrated in 1938 and it was demolished in 1961.