Historic County: Shropshire (detached), later Worcestershire
Dating from 1841 Quinton's Christ Church was built to serve a scattered rural community of agricultural workers and nail makers.
Christ Church website
The church's own website is at - http://www.quintonchurch.co.uk/.
You might also be interested in - A History of Birmingham Places & Placenames . . . from A to Y - Quinton - http://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-q/quinton/.
Press function key F5 to refresh the map.
It was not until the middle of the 20th century that Quinton became part of the Birmingham/ Black Country conurbation. Although a rural area, there was a significant nail-making industry here centred largely on home working.
Christ Church was built in 1841 on Quinton Hill (Hagley Road West) to cater for a scattered population whose nearest Anglican church was at Halesowen, albeit only 3 miles away. The church was built on land given by the lord of the manor, Lord Lyttleton of Hagley Hall with a parish assigned from that of Halesowen.
Its building may have been provoked by the growing influence of Methodism in the area from as early as the end of the 18th century.
Christ Church is built of red sandstone in a simple Early English style and has a central aisle, chancel and bell turret with a single bell. There is a balcony at the west end. There are also windows of good Victorian stained glass.
The church was restored in 1890 by Birmingham architects Frank Barlow Osborn and Alfred Reading; the enclosed entrance porch was added in 1928.
William Dargue 30.12.2015