Work in progress . . . Temporary article - Information taken from British History Online -

Acocks Green

St Mary

Image from the Acocks Green History Society website
Image from the Acocks Green History Society website


93. ST. MARY THE VIRGIN, Acock's Green (Warwick Rd.), is a stone building designed by J. G. Bland in the 13th-century style consisting of a chancel and an aisled and clerestoried nave; it was consecrated in 1866 as a chapel of ease of St. Edburgha's, Yardley. The church was enlarged in 1882, (fn. 9) but was badly damaged by enemy action in 1940. During the 1950s it was restored and the clerestory and roof were rebuilt. In 1867 it became a parish church, the parish being assigned out of St. Edburgha's and enlarged, in 1907, by parts of Hall Green parish. (fn. 10) Part of the parish was taken to form part of that of St. Edmund, Tyseley (1931). The living is in the gift of public trustees: it was a perpetual curacy in 1867 and a vicarage in 1868. (fn. 11) Spring Lane mission room was licensed for public worship from 1881 to 1908, St. Gabriel's mission room, Summer Rd., from 1909 to 1926, and Bishop Westcott Church Hall, Greenwood Avenue, from 1936. (fn. 12)