Work in progress . . . Temporary article - Information taken from British History Online -


St John the Evangelist


83. ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST, Sparkhill (Stratford Rd.), a building of red brick with terracotta and stone dressings designed by Martin and Chamberlain in the Early English style, comprising chancel, nave, transepts, vestry, and tower containing seven bells, was consecrated in 1889 and enlarged in 1895. (fn. 70) A parish was assigned out of St. Edburgha's, Yardley, in 1894, when the living became a vicarage, in the gift of public trustees. (fn. 71) Parts of the parish were taken to form the parish of St. Christopher, Springfield (1911), and part of the parish of St. Edmund, Tyseley (1931); and part was exchanged with part of the parish of Hall Green in 1907. (fn. 72) St. John's school was licensed for public worship, 1908-26, the Taylor Memorial Home chapel, 1913-26, and St. John's mission room from 1928 until the Second World War; St. Edmund's mission church, Tyseley, licensed from 1913, was consecrated in 1932 (see no. 66); St. Bede's mission church, Greet, has been licensed since 1907, and the chapel of the Women's Hospital since 1914. (fn. 73)